Skyview 8th Grade Honors
Thursday, December 02, 2004
 
The Witch of Blackbird Pond--to page 67
I've read up to page 67. Kit has just described her first time at church and having dinner with the Reverend. Some early things in the book that were interesting to me, and that will likely come up later, are: when Kit jumps out of the boat and swims after the little girls doll and everyone looks at her like she's a witch; the young reverend-guy, John Holbrook; how independent Kit is; and the big difference between Kit and the family she goes to live with.

First of all, you just know there's going to be trouble because Kit is so different than the people she goes to live with. I get the feeling there will be trouble with the townspeople and even with her own relatives. I don't know what to think about John Holbrook, though. Will he end up being a good guy or evil? He's so quiet and we haven't been given that much information about him.

Another thing is the big differences between Kit's uncle, Matthew Wood, and Reverend Bulkeley, which is shown in the chapter when the reverend comes to dinner. Reverend Bulkeley is a supporter of a new governor who's been appointed by King James but Matthew Wood is not. On page 61, Wood says, "Well, we here in Connecticut will never recognize it--never! Do you think we have labored and sacrificed all these years to build up a free government only to hand it over now without a murmur?" This will be a big conflict as the book goes along.

Overall, I like the book and I like Kit. It's hard to imagine living back in those times and especially being a teenage girl back then.



Comments:
YAY!!! Your first REAL blog. I like Kit to. Although, she can be a little proud at times (offering her cousins dresses to make them like her -she realized that at the end of the book). But that IS the way she was brought up, and I can tell that she is learning how to be more humble, especially with Mercy's example!
 
Hey no fair! You never had to blog on Johnny Tremain.:P
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger